Saturday, April 17, 2010

Beauty in Jail

by Jessica Gillman

We have a skylight in here, and the other night we had a thunderstorm. Me, Megan, Rachael put our blankets on the floor and laid on the floor looking up at the lightning, and a tiny glare from a streetlight allowed us to see some of the rain falling. We just laid there and took it all in, all of us wishing we were home to share it with someone we love! We all three lay there completely silent, lost in our own worlds, until the guard came over the speaker to tell us to go to our rooms because it's midnight. We all wiped away our tears as we came back to the realization that we are here!

Some nights when I can't sleep, I wait to hear the train that I can hear through my window. It comforts me, for one it reminds me of being a kid at home with mom and dad and on the other hand reminds me there's still a world out there I have to get back to, that I need to laern to see the beauty in.

Physical beauty: the other day we made hair curlers out of toilet paper. They worked.

So in all I think beauty inside us lies with our innocence inside us, our true unselfish selves. People who can find that in theirselves and let it shine are beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica,

    I read this the day Tamie posted it, almost two weeks ago. I've been thinking of it a lot ever since then. In fact, I want to print it out and put it in my journal, so I'll read it again and again. I've been thinking of what precious moments these are: when we are so aware of what is beautiful around us and we allow those things and people to guide us to goodness and health. You are a wise and insightful woman. I'm glad you get to share these moments with a few other women, and I ache for you because you can't share them with the people you love.

    Some nights when I can't sleep, I listen to the very same train. Next time that happens, I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your message as you would a letter, since we simply cut and paste the messages to send them to the inmates.