Saturday, April 24, 2010

Any Help

by Jessica Hall

Part 1
Eyes staring at me so intently I slowly sat on the floor.

"I'm just going to get rid of some shit and I'll be right back. A couple hours at the most," Aaron says.

"I'm not dumb. She is at a hotel and you won't come home. How stupid do you think I am? I"m tired of all the bullshit, Aaron," I quickly say through tears. "Why don't you just tell me it's over. If you want her it's fine, I can't keep doing this. I won't keep doing it." My heart pounds as I stand up. Fear ripping through my body as I try to figure a way out without getting hurt. We are in the dark bedroom. No light on. I can hear his friends talking in the living room. "Lord, please let them help me if he tries something," I pray to myself.

"What is wrong with you? I told you what I'm doing. It's all in your head. You are too doped up to know what the fuck is going on anymore. You know that, right? Stupid bitch!" he states with a smug little grin on his face.

"Fuck you! I'm done," I cry once more. Now! I tell myself. I start to dart for the door, but only make it a couple steps. He grabs my arm so tight I scream in pain. The fingers gripped me so hard I can feel the instant bruising. I try to squirm away as he tells me to shut the fuck up before he really gives me a reason to yell. I can hear the guys in the living room all moving around, but no one comes. Aaron flings me around and I hit the floor. So much built-up anger and hate dulls my pain for a moment. All I want to do is hurt him like he has me. To show him he is not right for once in his life.

"Don't you ever walk away from me again. I will be back later. Don't even think about leaving either. Erik will be here to watch you," he finally says as he lets go of me. "Is that understood?"

"Yes," I reply, glaring at him.

Part 2
I stand looking in at the mirror at all the red marks on my arm from the fight.

"Oops, sorry." I turn to seek Erik standing in the bedroom doorway. I quickly put my shirt back on, watching my arm carefully. I slowly walk into the living room. All eyes are on my arm. Fingerprints more than identifiable. I try to cover them with my other hand quickly in shame. I look only to the floor. Glancing up to Aaron's whispering in my ear, "Wipe your eyes please. I'm sorry I left those marks." I have no response. Only wishing he would go away already. The pain is gone by now. Only feeling lonely and broken once more. My mind does not race, my head does not spin. Nothing is all I get. All I want. To forget it all and never look back. I sit in silence for an hour staring off into space. I can hear the people all talking but pay them no mind. They laugh and joke.

"Are you ok?" Erik whispers as Aaron walks away. I just nod my head yes. Not really even thinking of the question he just asked.

"Alright, babe. I'm taking off." Aaron smiles as he gives me a kiss. Everyone but Erik and Tiara leave.

Part 3
"Now damn it, Jess, let me see your arm," Erik says as I slowly remove my hand. "I've told you a millions times you're better than this shit. Aaron may be my cousin, but he doesn't deserve you! I told you last time what to do, but I give up. You can't help someone who'll go right back!" The last few words stung me like a bee. Aaron's own flesh and blood had begged me to leave him just a few weeks before. Telling me how much he had loved me and wanting nothing more than for me to be happy.

"Erik, please," I begged. I couldn't stand another lecture. Not tonight anyway.

"I best go. You know how Aaron is. He left me with you, but will accuse you of doing wrong." Erik and Tiara left me home alone. I curled up in a little ball and fell asleep.

2 comments:

  1. I know this isn't the right intellectual or emotional response, but I kind of hate Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    You are so precious. I'm so sorry that Aaron hurts you when what you need from him is caring. I don't know if people tell you this all the time or if no one ever does, but it's true all the same: you deserve caring, and you don't deserve the bruises. I'm just so sorry that he hurts you.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your message as you would a letter, since we simply cut and paste the messages to send them to the inmates.