Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First Memory

by Summer Jaynes

I believe I was four-years-old.

I was at my Grandma's house, it was a sunny afternoon, there was a breeze. I'm climbing a cherry tree she has in her yard. "Pick the dark red ones, Summer. Do you know which ones are red?" "Yes!! Just like your favorite bird right Grandma?" "Good job."

I look down and see my Grandma standing there in shorts and a T-shirt. She's a heavier woman, her long black hair is flowing in the air. Her smile is so kind and her black-brown eyes are full of love. I look back at the cherries and start picking them, putting them in my sack. I eat some of them and I hear my Grandma laughing her heartfull laugh. "Summer, don't eat them all, you'll get a stomachache. You want a pie, don't you sweetie?" I just laugh and keep picking them til my sack is full. Then we walk in the house and wash them in the sink. I pull a chair up to the counter so I can watch her make the pie, stealing cherries while she's getting things ready.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely story, I love it. :-)
    Grandmothers are so special, and it certainly sounds like you were blessed with one who loves you so much! It sounds like she was so patient and so kind. Thanks for sharing, great story!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your message as you would a letter, since we simply cut and paste the messages to send them to the inmates.