Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First Bad Memory

by Summer Jaynes

I'm at my father's house with my two half-sisters. I'm four, they are a few years older. It's night time. My dad is drunk, I can tell by the way he's slurring his words and talking mean to my step-mother. My dad is 6'2'', 200 pounds, black hair and eyes. My step-mother is bleach-blond, 300 pounds, 5'7''. He's yelling at her, she's crying. The house smells like old bear and cigars, me and my sisters are hiding in my room. We hear them fighting. Now I hear thumps on the wall and she's screaming. I open the door and see my father's angry eyes full of hate. He's dragging her by the hair to his room. She has blood all over her shirt and is screaming, "No Bobby please!" I shut the door and start crying. My sisters are crying also. There's more thumps and screaming from behind the closed door. After a while it's dead quiet. I think it's been hours now, maybe they are asleep. We come out of the bedroom and start picking up the ash trays and other things that was knocked over in the living room. We put a movie on and make a palit*. I go use the bathroom and I see my step-mother crying at the sink. I walk around her and use the bathroom. She's washing her face, there's dried blood. "Come here, Summer." I come and she holds me and just cries. She then goes to her room and shuts the door. I run down the hall and get under the covers and watch the movie with my sisters. Later we all fall asleep. I wake up scared. I think I see someone in the window, it's the monster or the devil. I don't want to wake daddy and I know my sisters can't help. I run to the phone, I only know one phone number, my Grandma's. I call her, she's hoarse, you can tell I woke her. I cry into the phone and tell her the devil is outside, I see him poking in the window. I'm crying hysterically now, trying to be quiet so I don't wake no one. My Grandma tries to soothe me. She tells me to get a Bible and open it to any page. I do also get a pillow so I can lay by the phone. She talks to me and calms me down, telling me no one can hurt me. I must fall asleep like this because I wake up in the morning to the phone buzzing.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Summer, I am so sorry that this happened to you. Such an innocent, impressionable little child. What comes to my mind, after reading your story here, is that one good thing that comes from this experience is that you can relate to others who have or who are going through domestic abuse, either as children or adults. Not everyone can understand or relate, and it seems to me that perhaps the ones who have been through it themselves are the ones who can help others the most ... just a thought here.
    You are special, Summer, and I believe that there is a reason that we all have the experiences in our lives that we do, even the bad ones. I believe that if we allow Him to, that God will take the negative things in our past, and turn them into something positive, for us and for others.
    ((( Hugs )))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, what a heartbreaking memory to have locked in your head.

    I agree with Joanie. Our memories hold a certain power: power to change, to inspire, and to help others. I hope that your memories are able to inspire you to change someone else's life one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Summer,

    What your father did was completely wrong, and you did not deserve to live in that kind of fear. You were a sweet child and there wasn't anything you could do to help your step-mom or to protect yourself. You did really well, calling your grandma and looking after yourself as best as you could.

    I'm really glad you shared your story on this blog, and I'm really glad I read it. I will remember your story for a long time. Maybe it will help me find a way to help get kids out of places where they are made to feel so helpless and afraid. Maybe it will help me to find ways to take back control in my own life when it feels like there's a devil poking his head around my window.

    Three cheers for your grandma. You can tell from this story and from your beautiful memory about picking cherries that she was crazy about you and just loved you to bits.

    Anna Wold
    Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your story tonight and am touched by it. I'm very sad that you had to witness that kind of violence in your own family so young. I wonder - did your father ever somehow get out of those behaviors and see the destruction it caused?

    Thank God for your soothing grandmother's voice at such a time. Thanks for writing!

    Lori S.
    Whitefish, MT

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your message as you would a letter, since we simply cut and paste the messages to send them to the inmates.